Friday, October 29, 2010

High Fashion at Flinders Station

Trying on a fascinator at Victoria Market



It's a holiday weekend for Australians. It's the 150th running of the Melbourne Cup, a big horse race. We decided to head downtown to soak in the atmosphere at the train station as people headed out to Flemington for today's race. Not exactly sure how it all works, but the most important race is Tuesday which is a holiday here. The well-dressed woman will don a fascinator (I'd never heard that word until today). I was talking to one woman at the train station and she said the real fun people watching is late afternoon when everyone comes home from the race. She said it's crazy to see all the well-dressed women drunk and stumbling with drooping fascinators and smeared lipstick. Actually, I'm glad we saw them at their best. Milena, too bad you weren't here this weekend --- you would have loved watching along with me! Joe got a little bored but I had a great time people watching.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nancy - Nice job on the blogging; I'm learning a lot about culture in Australia from your pictures and blogs. Please give our best to Jim and Sandra. - K

    ReplyDelete