Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Eve in Melbourne

Tim and Olivia should be home in a couple of hours from their 2 day tour of the Great Ocean Road.  They were lucky to have good weather. Wasn't super hot, but it's been sunny. I just heard on the news that Queensland is so flooded that there are lots of cars stranded on some highway in that state due to roads covered with water and pavement disintegrating. They were interviewing folks stuck there and they're not too happy about the long delay(since yesterday apparently). One guy said, "Try spending a night in a ute (pickup truck) with the windows up because of the mosquitoes." Sounds miserable! We, on the other hand, had a fun day. We took the train into the city just to soak up the atmosphere there. I thought I'd take pictures of us on the train platform and on the train. We've gotten all over the place these past 8 and a half weeks using trains and trams. I have to get a picture of the Australian Open tram! We snapped some photos of Federation Square and we walked through the free Australian National Gallery of Victoria and practically had the place to ourselves. I must admit, if I were at home, the last thing I'd be doing on Christmas Eve is going to an art museum. This is just an unorthodox Christmas for us this year. I haven't bought a gift, baked a thing, sent a card or decorated anything. When Tim and Olivia get here, we're ordering Thai food for take-out. I did buy some Christmas truffles. That's my one and only Christmas purchase.
Middle Brighton train station. 


We pass this everyday just before we get to Flinders Street station. It's the AAMI and I don't know what it stands for
but I know it's where they have soccer and "footy" which is Australian rules football.



Overlooking the Atrium from inside the NGV.

No comments:

Post a Comment