Friday, December 10, 2010

Our last night in Sydney

We went to our third and final show at the Sydney Opera House. We saw Handel's Messiah, which was, I'm sure, really well done, but I guess I'm just not an opera, classical music kind of gal. But, it was fun to see a performance in that amazing room. They say no photos allowed but I saw lots of flashes from cameras before the show started and when I noticed a flash from a woman in the chorus, I thought, "That does it; if she's awed by this room and wants a picture, I'm going to take one too!" I estimated there were over 400 people in the chorus. There were 4 soloists who sat in front of the conductor. Late in the performance, a few notes of music happened, then everything stopped. Just when we were wondering what that was all about, the conductor looked over his right shoulder to basically wake up the tenor who missed his cue. He stood up and started flipping all through his book looking for the right page. I'm guessing he had a comic book tucked in there and just lost all track of time. Ha! Though I wasn't a huge fan of watching all of Handel's Messiah, the big bonus came during intermission when we got to spend 20 minutes watching the gorgeous sunset.



No comments:

Post a Comment